Research recommendations for this section comprise:
- Further work is required on intellectual history and the provenance of artefacts to provide the historical context to archaeological understanding for this period.
- Archival material, whether antiquarian, scientific (e.g. SEM) or previously sliced up artefacts, constitutes a valuable resource that would benefit from reanalysis.
- A specifically Scottish chronology that relates chronological data from many sources needs to be developed.
- The Scottish Chalcolithic requires better definition through further research.
- A textbook synthesis for the Scottish Bronze Age is required.